Tax Prep for Home Buyers and Sellers of 2022

When buying or selling a home, taxes are an important part of the process. Depending on where you live and how much the sale price is, taxes may be required for either or both parties involved in the transaction. To ensure that all taxes are paid properly and to avoid any potential issues down the road, it is important to know what documents are needed when filing taxes after a home purchase or sale. Make sure you work with a tax preparation professional to ensure that you have everything you need.

If You Bought or Sold Your Home in 2022

Some Documents You Might Need at Tax Time:

Mortgage Papers

Mortgage papers are the documentation relating to the mortgage loan. This is the loan used to purchase the home or other property. The main document in a mortgage package is the mortgage note. This note sets out the terms of the loan, including the amount borrowed, the interest rate, and the length of the loan. Other documents included in the mortgage papers are the deed of trust, the document that secures the loan and gives the lender a claim on the property, and the truth-in-lending statement, which provides information about the terms of the loan, such as the annual percentage rate (APR) and the finance charge.

At tax time, you might need the mortgage papers to deduct the mortgage interest you paid during the year on your federal income tax return. This could lower your tax bill. And, if you sell your property, the mortgage papers are important because they can affect the amount of gain or loss you realize from the sale.

Closing Documents

Settlement papers, also known as closing documents, are the documents used to finalize the sale of a property. They are typically prepared by a closing agent, who is responsible for coordinating the transfer of ownership from the seller to the buyer.

The most important settlement papers for tax purposes include:

HUD-1 Settlement Statement: This itemizes all of the charges and credits associated with the sale of the property, including the purchase price, real estate commissions, and title charges.

Deed: Shows the transfer of ownership from the seller to the buyer.

Mortgage Discharge or Release: If the property was sold with a mortgage, this releases the property from the mortgage and acknowledges that the loan has been paid in full.

These documents provide the information you need to report the sale of your home on your federal income tax return. For example, the HUD-1 Settlement Statement shows the sale price amount. You need this to report the amount you received for the sale. If you have a gain from the sale, the settlement papers provide information to calculate the gain. Likewise, if you had a loss, the papers provide information to calculate the loss.

Additional Papers

You will need the above as well as paperwork showing any other closing costs associated with the purchase of the property. Additional taxes may also apply depending on where you live, such as local fees or transfer taxes. Additionally, you may need to provide proof of taxes already paid on your property, if applicable, in order to receive any tax credits or deductions.


No matter what kind of taxes are due after buying or selling a home, it is important to ensure that all taxes are properly filed and paid to avoid any potential issues later. By having all necessary documents gathered ahead of time, filing taxes should be much simpler and without complications.

If you are struggling to understand taxes associated with a home purchase or sale, it is important to consult an experienced tax professional who can guide you through the process and ensure that taxes are filed correctly.

By being prepared and understanding what documents need to be gathered for taxes after buying or selling a home, taxes can be easily managed and taken care of on time. This will provide peace of mind to those involved in the transaction and help ensure that taxes are properly paid when due.


MortgageWorks offers financing for new home purchases, refinance, home equity, investment property, construction, and a wide variety of loan program options to fit your every need.

Servicing the state of California and the entire Coachella Valley, including Palm Springs, Cathedral City, Rancho Mirage, Indian Wells, Palm Desert, Desert Hot Springs, La Quinta, Indio and Coachella. Call Art today @ (760) 883-5700

* Specific loan program availability and requirements may vary. Please get in touch with your mortgage advisor for more information.